Keith Furman has served as Alder of District 19 since August 2018.
Keith and his wife Sandi Reinardy, a Wisconsin native, have lived in Madison for seven and a half years in the Spring Harbor neighborhood. He is a technology professional and most recently served as Chief Technology and Chief Strategy Officer for CenterX, a Madison-based health care technology company. Prior to moving to Madison in 2013, Keith and Sandi lived in Hoboken, NJ, where he served as chairman of the Hoboken Planning Board.
In his 2+ years on the Council, Keith has been focused on issues that are important to District 19, our overdue need to respond to racial inequality, and COVID-19. Key accomplishments include:
- Championing Watershed studies and a new stormwater ordinance to address and mitigate flooding in District 19
- Improving resident engagement by holding office hours, chairing the implementation of recommendations to improve government structure and assisting with the transition to virtual meeting format
- Supporting public safety changes that reduce crime and racialized police violence, including the implementation of a crisis response team, police civilian oversight board, independent monitor, and advocating for strategies to improve retention in the Madison Police Department
- Advancing the creation of the Bus Rapid Transit East-West route and supporting ongoing engagement with stakeholders to ensure this investment improves public transportation and alleviates road congestion
- Increasing funding and support for affordable housing projects
- Supporting COVID-19 reaction, recovery programs, and funding, including homeless services, community services, business assistance, and voting safety